Friday, April 25, 2014

REVIEW: Wishgift - Pretty Jenny/Cream Acres 7" EP (self-released)

Guess where I was last night, gang?  Surprise!  Wally's World!!  (I'm gonna have to start giving those dudes some rent money...geez).  Anywho...caught the tail end of a great show.  Chicago's Wishgift closed out the evening with an extremely impressive and instrumentally superb set.  This band's sound is definitely not the typical WPOM? fare, but it stuck with me enough that the first thing I did today was wake up and type this review (ok...real talk...I actually sent like 7 dick pics out to random cell numbers first, but right after THAT I sat down at my computer).  Their sound is very difficult to classify.  If I were to try I would say "progcore".  Their riffs are wicked, their modalities obtuse, their time-signatures awkward, their breaks stop on a dime and they don't seem to be afraid to weave any sort of musical passage or nuance into any given song at any given moment.  The results are thrilling, delightful and bone-crushing all at once.  If Fugazi listened to nothing but King Crimson for like a year straight they would probably sound a lot like these dudes.  Catch them next time you see them on a bill...they're brutal and a ton-a-fun.  So is this 7".  Get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment